Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Teaching

So now I have actually started teaching with the older kids-adults. I have a range of anywhere from 14 to 31 year olds in my class. This makes interesting dynamics with the range of maturity, interest and motivation. Nonetheless it is the job and I need to make the best of it. The first day was great for both of my classes. There was good participation and I felt we had fun. The second day turned to be more frustrating with lack of participation or energy. I tried to keep mine up and still have fun but it was more challenging. Finally today was a mix between the two. As it is my first time, I will need to keep adjusting my ways of teaching to find out what works best with each group.

Another thing is the organization. I knew I was coming to Peru and was expecting things to change- as they had already changed multiple times before arriving- but things just continue changing each day, not just with teaching but also housing, food, politics. Anything. For example, since the first day of teaching, my classroom has changed 4 times each for both of my classes. But "asi es la vida" would be a fitting phrase basically meaning "such is life" you just have to roll with it and make the best of what you got.

The days have been filled with lesson planning so far, but as I get more practice hopefully I will have more free-time to have more adventures. Hope all is well from wherever you are reading from. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment