Monday, July 4, 2011

       Tuesday June 28th is national "Ceviche day" so naturally we had to go out with friends to get ceviche. The president decided to make this a national day about three years ago (I believe) because Chile was trying to claim Ceviche as Chilean. Anyways the ceviche was great as always. This was the last day of class for June (their final exam on Thursday) so it was a review day. Today is "casual" day so teachers could wear jeans and the students could order pizza. So it was a more relaxed, fun atmosphere. I had the students do a mini "lesson" teaching the class (or more so reviewing) what they had learned in June. This went better than hoped- and was good since I didn't have much time to prepare since I went out to lunch for almost 4 hours. After class, we had to continue celebrating the day so hung out with our friends some more. We went to a high lookout over the city- it was gorgeous. Unfortunately I forgot a camera but it probably wouldn't have worked regardless- but just imagine a nice city view at night. 
    
       Wednesday is also a national holiday where people actually get off work. We spent most of the day around the house, went up for a walk to Plaza Vea, saw a gold floating man (whose sign said we need to believe in the power of magic) and went out at night with a friend for pizza for a while.
    
     Thursday we went to our friend Milagro's house and had a delicious lunch of a typical dish called "recoto relleno" which is stuffed pepper. That day was the final exam for our classes and then we had a nice relaxing night. (and watched my favorite show online, reruns of course,- the OC!)
      
      Friday was dedicated to grading. We needed to finish the tests and turn in final grades for June. Then we had a staff meeting. At this staff meeting they were explaining how they were still figuring out the July schedule and changing things around. Well they said we would no longer have classes in Casa Via (where Karlene and I live) because the neighbors complained too much- well they have been saying this all month so I didn't believe it. Until they casually mentioned they would be handing in the keys next week. I just had to laugh at the ridiculousness of everything. They said, "oh don't worry girls you won't be homeless." But I suppose now it is really official that we are moving out. Once we got some more details, we found out we will be living in the house we were originally supposed to live in. Our director has now moved to Lima and we will be in his house. So I can give more details next week once I'm settled in.
    
     Along those lines, we have since gotten two new roommates and our old roommates have sadly moved out. Our two new roomies are from Virginia and are quite friendly. They will be going to the new house with us as well.


     Anyways, Friday night we finish grading and then went out to celebrate June. We went dancing for a while with some friends and then came home to get some rest since we had a big Saturday planned at the beach! Another friend picked us up Saturday morning (since our kids classes are now done) and we headed west towards the coast. It is winter so it was not to go swimming- but we figured we still had to go see it! And we finally brought our camera- so here is one of the beaches in the cloudy-winter in Peru.
This is a view from higher above in Mollendo (Karlene and I are by the car)

Here is down closer to the water 
A fun friend I found

This is at another beach in Mejilla

Again in Mejilla, with some maybe not so safe wooden houses right on the rocks 


       The we ventured to another beach. When we got out, we were told that it has a famous Castle. So of course we had to get our picture with it, so we flagged down a boy on the beach to take our picture.
I didn't get the squatting memo- but this is with our friend Ramiro
     Although it was cold (hence the two sweatshirts I'm wearing) and cloudy, we were at a beach in Peru so I figured I had to at least dip my toe in to the water. So I roll up my pants a bit and walk slowing towards the water. It was very cold and all the sudden there was a huge wave! So I had to run back up the shore a bit. 


 But I was not going to let that stop me so I tried again. I rolled my pants up a little bit more and walked down  towards the water again. I was laughing and joking with Karlene and Ramiro when I look back to see an even bigger wave. 
Unfortunately I couldn't outrun that one.
    On the two hour drive home, I was rather cold, with good reason, so I borrowed Ramiro's jacket to keep warm. So I bundled up!
     
        At one point along the way home, we stopped to get some water. Then we were convinced into trying some sugar cane. We got 5 bags of them and they are just chopped up sugar cane you are supposed to suck on. They are tasty, and supposedly they help whiten teeth also!

This is what it looks like before
    We got home, I took a quick cold shower to get all the salty water and sand off me. We had a nice little snack of Gallo Pinto (rice and beans) and then went out with all our friends (ex and new roommates). Saturday was "Friend's day" and so of course we had to celebrate with our friends! However, because of this- the streets and all the bars and dance clubs were packed! Nonetheless, we found a nice place to go and had a nice evening. 
            
         However, unfortunately we came home to an overflowed sink that we had to spend a while cleaning. It still won't stop dripping and our sink is clogged. (There is one plus to a new house!- along with the fact that it is rumored to have a washing machine! *fingers crossed*)

     Sunday was a lazy day. We went out with another friend for lunch around 3. I had a HUGE plate of food that came with a very large piece of steak, two fried eggs, rice, fries, plantains and salad. No worries, I finished it all. 


     Monday, today, was the first day of the July session. So I prepared for just a relaxed day of review. I have the same two groups from the previous month, which has good and bad. However on the first day people don't think its necessary to show up. So one class I had 8 of 15 and in the other 2 of 6. Hopefully more will come tomorrow! But this morning Karlene and our other two roommates and I decided to wander around to go get our nails done. We found a nice friendly little place where I could get a simple color (or French if I wanted but my nails are too short because it is so dry here they always break) for 2 dollars.
Mine clearly being the chubbier one :)
     Unfortunately I missed my family reunion this weekend. The pictures looked like a lot of fun and I'm sad I missed it but I also had a great weekend. Hope everyone had a wonderful 4th of July!

No comments:

Post a Comment